Ruth's Famous Pot Pie | Walking Worthy: Ruth's Famous Pot Pie
Image Map

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Ruth's Famous Pot Pie

Ruth's Famous Pot Pie

Okay, I can't not share this recipe with you! This recipe (well the original, I have slightly altered it to meet my crazy lifestyle) is from my sweet friend Ruth who is an amazing cook! I made it last night for Greg (it's one of his favs). I keep it on deck when in need of a fail proof recipe. So here we go. I have to add this disclaimer: Ruth I cheat on the veggies and use frozen instead of fresh

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 small bags of frozen mixed veggies
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 4 cups chopped chicken*
  • 2 boxes Pillsbury Pie Crust from the dairy case (I have spent years fighting with pie crust...no more!)
Directions:
Saute onion and celery in butter.

Add veggies and continue to saute until onions are cooked through and veggies are cooked but not soggy.


Add flour to sauteed veggies.
Stir and cook for one minute. Here's a closeup of what it will look like.

Combine broth and half and half and stir into mixture. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Okay, this is the hard part....waiting to it to get good and thick. Trust me it like good cream gravy, you want it thick. Please be patient!

Add salt, pepper, and chicken. Stir it all up. It will look like this.
Find your most favorite pie pan (mine is this really boring Pyrex....but that's what my dad and I have always baked in so it holds memories); you actually need two. This recipe makes two pies, one for now and one to freeze for later. You'll thank me one night when you don't have to cook but get to enjoy this yumminess!
Line you pie pans with one pie crust each. Put half of the yummy insides into each.
Cover with left over pie crust. Slit.

Bake one, freeze the other.

By now, those you love are near the kitchen. The baking of this pie will drawn them there I promise! Serve this, with what? Well I like it by itself, but you can serve it with a salad or fresh fruit. Set the table, sit down, look at those special people across from you, talk, share about your day, and enjoy eachother.
*Cooked Chicken. I learned this from a caterer. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with McCormick's Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes with the shiny smooth side up. It will look like this!

Dear friends: I hope you enjoy this recipe. I hope to share much more with you in the future! Cooking to me is a way I love on people. I hope you get to love on others with this!!

Cover the edges with foil so the edges don't burn. Take foil off the last 10 minutes. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so this looks awesome and I have come to your blog a couple times recently to marvel at your beautiful pie crust edges.
    I know! It tastes the same either way...but they're beautiful if done well! I'm a little bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, Ben did not say that. I just can't figure out how to leave a comment with my name! :)

    ReplyDelete