Gifted | Walking Worthy: Gifted
Image Map

Monday, August 26, 2013

Gifted

What is wrong with me?? Why can’t I think like that? I walked away asking myself these questions and feeling very frustrated. I have these two friends, who baffle and slightly annoy me. Anytime I go to them with a project I am working on they attack me with questions. Their questions are so good.  The way their brains can think is what leaves me baffled and annoyed. I wonder, why DID I NOT THINK OF THAT!!! I often leave angry at myself thinking I am no good at all.

So I have been turning to God and asking Him some questions. What is wrong with me?? Why can’t my brain work like theirs? Softly and gently He is whispering a response. He is saying “Because I did not make you that way.” “I did not gift you with their gifts.” All of a sudden everything clicks: OH, well that makes sense God! 
Personality and Spiritual Gifts
Often I think we think that our personality and our gifting is the same. On any personality test I rate the same (oh they might be called different things) but my rating it quite clear.  I am a perfectionist. I think analytically. I like things neat, clean, and perfect.  I strive for the best. This often leads people to believe I have the spiritual gift of administration. They would be wrong though. God has given me two Spiritual gifts in particular: teaching and prophesy. While my personality shapes the way my Spiritual gifts look, my personality does not direct what gifts I am given. 
Who I Am in Okay!
It’s important for all of us to recognize both our personality and our spiritual gifting. We must recognize them and then decide we are okay with the way God made us. We must not put priority on personality or spiritual gifting. We must recognize that both of these shape us into the person that we are. Who I am is okay. It’s okay that I do not share the same personality or gifting of my friends. It’s okay because that is how God made me. I must accept that. Accepting myself means I do not try to be who I am not. It means I cannot allow myself to be frustrated when I am not what God did not intend for me to be. 
We Need Each Other
I also need to acknowledge that I need my friends. We each bring something different to the table. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual gifts. Paul talks about this in 1 Corinthians 12. He describes the gifts given to believers as a body with different parts. Within the body of Christ we need each other just like the hands and the feet or the nose and the mouth need each other. When we are missing a part of our body, everything is off.  Such is the body of Christ when we do not recognize and walk in our spiritual gifting. 
How do we do this? First we need to recognize our spiritual gifts! The Bible gives us four clear passages on spiritual gifts: 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12, Ephesians 4, and 1 Peter 4. I encourage you to dive into these passages and learn about spiritual gifts. I would also encourage you as you read these passages to create a chart about what you learn. Ask these questions: Why are spiritual gifts given? Who gives the gifts? What are the gifts that are given? You will learn so much by doing this! Often the Lord will show you your gift as you study.

Next we need to find a place of service. This service should be within the body of Christ. So look around your church and seek out where God would have you to serve. Once God clearly shows you where, please dive in!

Finally we need to remember this service thing isn't about us. God tells us in His word that the purpose of Spiritual gifts for for the building up of the body of Christ, so the body would be complete. So please don't allow service to allow your head to get big. Ultimately you are serving God, not man. Continually check your heart and make sure you are serving for the right reasons.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment