DIY Fall Pumpkins | Walking Worthy: DIY Fall Pumpkins
Image Map

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

DIY Fall Pumpkins

All the DIY pumpkins have caught my eye on Pinterest. What about you? I just fell in love with the sweater and velvet pumpkins I was seeing. And all I could think of was…I CAN DO THAT.

Please note. I cannot sew well. I DO NOT own a sewing machine. I took one mother/daughter sewing class in 4-H and my mom and I almost killed each other trying to make an apron. It was ugly folks. I DO however own a sewing kit. It has some basic thread, needles, scissors, etc.

Like any good DIYer I searched and hunted on Pinterest. I looked at all the tutorials and decided I could make these pumpkins. I may not be able to sew, but I could conquer these pumpkins….

I settled on two styles of pumpkins: the kind made from a recycled sweater and the kind that require super basic sewing (because I own a sewing kit you know). I headed out and gathered my supplies

Supplies:
Sweater from a thrift store
2 yards of dark gray corduroy with gold polka dots
Sewing kit
Poly-fil
Twine
Wrapped wire (similar)

Making the Pumpkins
With the sweater pumpkins I followed this tutorial found on StoneGable. This was VERY easy. The hardest part was cutting up my sweater because it was so thick. One sweater made 4 pumpkins.
With my corduroy pumpkins I modified a tutorial I found on Masion de Pax. The modification I made was instead of sewing at the very end, I sewed each pumpkin about an inch from the edge giving me more of a little purse.


Making Pumpkin Stems
When I did my Pinterest search I found there were many ways people were making pumpkin stems. I wanted a more rustic look so I took three different approaches.


Wrapped Wire Stem
After closing off the my pumpkins either with twine or my sewing my little purse together I started at the bottom and wrapped up to form a faux stem.


Folded Sweater Stem
Some pieces of sweater that had a finished sleeve cuff. With those pieces I folded the edge over and then tied a piece of wrapped wire  around the base to hold the fold in place. I then made small curls out of the excess wrapped wire.

Rustic Rough Stem: 
Some pumpkins I left rough looking like a little purse. I tied wrapped wire around the base of the stem and made small curls with the excess.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment