The First Week | Walking Worthy: The First Week
Image Map

Saturday, January 24, 2009

The First Week

Well I keep getting asked about my first week at my new job, so I guess I should tell you about it.
I began my new job on Tuesday morning. I was asked to be there at 9:00. I wasn't sure what traffic was going to be like, so I left my apartment at 8:30. I got there about 10 minutes before 9:00.
This is me on my first day. Notice the cute new shirt and dress pants!

No let me tell you about the weekend before I started my new job. My parents came in on Friday evening. Perfect timing! Isn't God good! We got to celebrate together His goodness in providing me with such an awesome job!
My parents bought me a washer and dryer for graduation. I think they thought I wasn't excited about it. That is so not true! I cannot wait to get in there and wash my first round of laundry in my new washer and dryer. In fact, I am stocking up until then. The dryer was back ordered, so I will get my new washer and dryer next weekend! YEAH!
On Sunday afternoon, Mom took me to the mall to get some new dress pants. Gap has my favorite trouser pants on sale...so I got two pairs!
My parents left on Monday, and I dropped in the Grapevine Mills Mall to look for some new shirts. I got two sweaters for $25 at Gap Outlet and then I got three shirts at Banana Republic for $28!!! Yeah I was really excited. If you don't know this about me, I LOVE a great deal! Ohh. I also found the Apothecary Bottle for my bathroom that I can been looking for ($5).
These are my shirts from Banana.
Yeah for Gap!
This is one the the new shirts...see the top of my Apothecary Bottle?

So, back to Tuesday. I drove up to my office building. I had been there a total of like 3 times before then. As I drove up I thought...I really work here! I also kinda panicked a little. You see when I worked at Southwestern I had to wear skirts. I worried that maybe my new job was the same way and I was going to be the idiot new girl who was wearing pants...gasp!! I know I totally freaked myself out! And of course I had dreamed the night before all kinds of horrible things, like sleeping through my alarm, everyone hating me, you know typical horrible dreams before a new job!

So, I got out of my car. I sucked in all the panic and worry. And I walked through the front door to Amanda, our receptionists, desk.

Now let me tell you Amanda had made a HUGE first impression on me when I went for my interview. I had listened to her answer phone call after phone call and she had the sweetest, most bubbly voice. It just makes you happy when she answers the phone! But- when I walked in and she already knew my name "You must be Ashlee." Well, that just blew me away! She made me feel so welcome. As I waited for Randi (the girl I am replacing) to come down and get me, she talked to me about where I'm from, where I live. She was just amazing and made me feel at home!

Randi came and got me and took me upstairs. She gave me what I call my "hip badge." It's one of those cards and gives you entry into the building and all the offices in the building. You cannot get in to see me unless you have one. Not going to lie, they make me feel very safe!

This is my "hip badge"

Then Randi took me to my make shift desk. Right now I'm at a table with a laptop. You see Randi can't move to her new desk until Stephanie leaves. When Stephanie leaves (she is going home to be a mommy) Randi is taking her place. So until about mid- February I am at my little table next to my soon to be desk.

Side note-Sometimes I dream about organizing my new desk. I dream about the nesting process. What should I get for my new desk? What pictures should I bring? What colors are appropriate? Do I need a plant? How will I organize things in a way that works for me. These are all things that run through my head during the day.
Okay, so later that day my new boss finally came in the office. He had been out visiting a church. He is really an awesome guy. He is detailed, but very personable. It's still weird to me that I have a new boss. I still feel a little disloyal about it. But we talked and he ran things by me and we just talked about different office type things.
So the rest of the day, and the week actually I spent learning the various aspects of my job. Everyone keeps asking me if I am overwhelmed yet. I don't feel that way yet. I know I probably will. Right now I'm am just processing alot and feel exhausted! But I know the Lord has brought me here. I know He wouldn't place me somewhere if He hadn't already prepared me for it. So I just get up everyday and ask Him to teach me and help me do my job well. I know that I have to trust Him in this job. I know that if I trust in myself I will for sure fail!!
I am working on a notebook about my job. Why? So I can remember everything Randi tells me. I have a HUGE advantage that she is just moving down the hall and I will still have her to ask stuff. But I want to do my job. I want to do it well. So I am developing this notebook.
Another thing I have learned is the advantage of a steno notepad. I always wondered why Karen had one by her desk at my old job...now I know!! Karen I appreciate you more now that I'm not there. Your steno notepad must be worth gold!! Everyday I write down a to do list. I love every time I get to check something off my list. Ugh...such a great feeling!
So, that's a little about my job. I am now an adult. The end with I'll give you the list of pro's and con's my friend Price and I came up with about being an adult.
Pro's: that secure feeling that comes with a good paycheck, insurance, money that goes into retirement, vacation time, paid holidays, sick days
Con's: getting up early every week day for the rest of my life, no summer breaks, being the "old person" that has to go to bed at a reasonable time because you have a real job!
Love you guys!

1 comment:

  1. God is good. He has been preparing you for a long time. Hang in there. Mom

    ReplyDelete